The Sentinel reports that the Longs Gap Road bridge, built in 1954 and deemed functionally obsolete by PennDOT, will be closed through mid-September for rehabilitation.
While the concrete bridge is yet to mark its 60th year, its predecessors were in service for 120 years. Constructed by Samuel Alexander in 1834 and named Alexanders Bridge, the first 100 yard-long, wooden, covered bridge led horses, wagons and eventually automobiles across the Conodoguinet in the same location as today, just south of Cave Hill on Longs Gap Road. The bridge was a popular attraction and source of pride and heritage for Carlisle residents, appearing frequently in photos of town and family albums. While it withstood severe floods, a catastrophic fire destroyed Alexanders Bridge in 1953. Today, only the Grantham and Newburg covered bridges remain in the county.